Local Dog Control ServicesEvery licensing town, city or village must have a Dog Control Officer (DCO) and municipal shelter services. The DCO and shelter service enforces both State and any local dog laws and ordinances. Further, it is the DCO’s responsibility to pick up lost and stray dogs and humanely care for them until they can be reunited with their owners.
Lost DogIf your dog is lost or you find a lost dog, immediately contact your local DCO or shelter. Owners should seek lost unidentified dogs at our current shelter: Walden Humane Society.
Town of Mamakating Identification TagIf a dog is lost but identified with a Town of Mamakating identification tag, the DCO will contact the Town of Mamakating to trace the dog tag to the owner.
Dog LicensingEvery dog, regardless of age, owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed in the town, city or village where the dog is being harbored. The following are the only license exemptions:
- If the dog is under 4 months of age and not running-at-large (off the owner’s premises)
- Dogs harbored in New York City (these dogs must be licensed by the NYC Department of Health)
- If a non-resident brings a dog into New York State for less than 30 days and the dog is licensed according to the resident state’s licensing laws
- Dogs confined to the premises of any public or private hospital, research institution or a Class A Dealer with a certificate of exemption from the Commissioner.
How to License Your Dog Apply for your dog license at the Town Clerk's office. You can begin by downloading the dog license application and follow the accompanying instructions.
In addition to the application the owner will need:
- If the dog is spayed or neutered - a certificate from a licensed veterinarian or an affidavit from the owner showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, unless this proof is already on file with the clerk.
- All dogs 3 months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the dog would be endangered by the vaccine; and
- A check payable to Mamakating Town Clerk for the appropriate license fee.
Note: No refund will be made after a license has been validated.
||State Statutory Fee
||Additional Fee Information
||$3 of this fee is used to fund the NYS Animal Population Control Program
|Police Work Dog