A Notice from Minisink School District:
District shares helpful information on Oct. 18 proposed public library vote
Minisink Valley community:
The first legal notice of the Special District Meeting for voting on the proposition to establish the Minisink Valley Public Library has been published in the designated newspapers.
There have been a few questions regarding registration and the designation as a “special district meeting.”
- The law provides that there will be an annual meeting in May of each year to vote on the school district budget, the election of members of the Board of Education, and other propositions as may be legally proposed.
- Any vote that does not occur during the annual meeting in May is considered a “special” district meeting. The vote on the establishment of the Minisink Valley Public Library scheduled for Oct. 18, 2022, is a special district meeting.
- In order to vote on Oct. 18, 2022, a resident must be a qualified voter (a U.S. citizen, at least 18 and a resident of the school district for at least 30 days immediately preceding the special district meeting AND registered to vote.
- Any qualified voter who is currently registered with the Orange County or Sullivan County Board of Election (based on their county of residence) does not need to re-register.
- Any qualified voter who is currently registered with the Minisink Valley School District and has voted in a school district election/vote during the previous four calendar years, does not need to re-register.
- Any qualified voter who is NOT currently registered can register with the Orange County or Sullivan County Board of Elections (based on their county of residence) or the school district.
- The school district has “continuous” or “walk-in” registration, meaning a qualified voter can come to the District Clerk’s Office and register between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. on days when school is in session.
- If you wish to register, or for further information, please contact the Board of Elections in your county of residence:
Orange County Board of Elections
Sullivan County Board of Elections
Public hearing dates: Tuesday, Oct. 4 and Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 6:30 p.m. at the Greenville Resource Center (GRC), 1539 Route 6, Port Jervis.
Thank you for your attention to this helpful information.